For its third edition, the EFFERVESCENCE Start-up Pitch Competition will fuel the rise of Canadian start-ups whose innovations aim to transform the field of life sciences and health technologies (LSHT).
The 10 start-ups selected as finalists will get the opportunity to present their pitch before the EFFERVESCENCE participants at the Marché Bonsecours in Montreal. The pitches will be judged by a panel of judges, each of whom is a recognized expert or investor in the field of LSHT. The evaluation by the jury members will take the form of constructive advice and possible solutions to be explored to allow the entrepreneurial team to push its project even further.
The finalists will benefit from a unique visibility with a diverse audience comprised of investors, entrepreneurs, researchers, and industry members, all brought together at EFFERVESCENCE to discover the most promising opportunities for collaboration and create the future of life sciences. Be sure to check out the finalists’ pitches and the list of judges for the 2022 edition on the website!
Deadline to enter: March 1st, 2023
NEW IN THIS EDITION
The goal of the EFFERVESCENCE Start-up Pitch Competition is to showcase the most transformative innovations developed by Canadian startups seeking to make breakthroughs in the SVTS community. This year, start-ups will be grouped into two categories:
- Biopharmaceutical & Biotechnology;
- Medical Technology & Digital Health.
To be eligible, the applicant start-up must:
- Be incorporated and have its head office in Canada;
- Be at an early stage of development;
- Be based on an innovative product or service;
- Demonstrate strong growth potential;
- Not have received a dilutive investment of more than CAD $3 million.
The winning teams will be offered cash prizes to contribute to their transformative innovation momentum, including (but not limited to!):
- $20,000 prize sponsored by Pfizer;
- $10,000 prize sponsored by adMare BioInnovations;
- $10,000 prize sponsored by le Fonds de solidarité FTQ.
Other cash prizes to be announced shortly!
The 10 finalists will be selected based on the excellence of their application by a selection committee
comprised of multidisciplinary experts.
Applications will be evaluated based on the following five (5) criteria:
- Unmet need: the solution satisfies a significant unmet need;
- Degree of technological innovation: the start-up is working on a world-class technological innovation that has the potential to transform the LSHT community;
- Differentiation: the project and the technology stand out from the competition;
- Innovative business model: the strategies planned by the start-up to reach its target market are established and relevant;
- The team: the start-up team has relevant and complementary expertise and experience.
The next steps are as follows:
- Last day to apply on March 1st, 2023.
- Finalists will receive notice of their selection on March 27th, 2023.
- Finalists will have an information session on March 31st, 2023.
- During the week of April 10th, finalists will present their 3-minute pitch and receive feedback privately from an panel of 5 judges. This will help them improve their pitch and take their thinking even further.
- On May 3rd, the 10 finalists will pitch in-person their 3-minute pitches at the event. The jury and the finalists will then have up to 5 minutes to exchange their comments and questions following the pitches.
- Winners of the prizes will be announced live at EFFERVESCENCE.
Finalists are required to be available on May 3rd and 4th and be present in Montreal for the event.
Finalists based outside of Montreal might be eligible to a travel award thanks to LOJIQ support.
Apply to the competition by filling this form below.
We advise you to submit your pitch deck and your answers to the evaluation criteria in English, as some committee members are English speakers only. Nevertheless, you will have the choice to pitch in English or in French.
The deadline to apply is Wednesday, March 1st, 2023, at 9:00 a.m. EST.